Tales Of Kirrie Toon
Possible suggested addresses
Kitty's Kitchen? - she has given Christine much information re businesses
James Barrie's house?
Old Bakehouse - when Graham lives - was it Co-op?
Barron King & Lowdon's garage in the Roods in 1929?
Kirrie Connections Dementia Hub
5 Bank Street
Can't find anything in listings
Gateway To The Glens Museum
32 High Street
Gateway to the Glens Museum is situated in Kirriemuir Town House, a building that has been at the heart of Kirriemuir since construction in 1604. The museum opened in 2001, after the building was carefully restored and conserved.
Summarise, ad refer / link to Local Government page
1890s has 32 and 34 bracketed, Chas Moncur, House, bootmaker
HAMILTON KERR PHOTOGRAPHY
2 High Street
Prior to Hamiton Kerr the shop was the T D Mann boot warehouse.
Earlier, in The Kirriemuir Observer and Braes Of Angus Reporter of 5th June 1874 has an advert for A & S Fairweather, Boot and Shoe Manufacturers. They proudly announced that they had purchased a machine for the fitting in of ELASTICS.
In 1955 Michelle Viscocchi had a store at 3&4 Cumberland Close and a workshop at 8 Cumberland Close
either 32 or 37 High Street!
'The current ownes, who took over from the Vissochi family sold up in 2009, have recently refurbed this Kirriemuir favourite and created a charming Italian-style café and bistro'
MILLS [see separate page for Meikle Mills]
'The Gairie Linen Works of the Messrs Ogilvie, and the Kirriemuir Linen Works of the Messrs Wilkie, are the last word in in the development of the local weaving industry, and the crown of those [dozens of "manufacturers" who are commemorated in the cemetery on the Hill] earlier and ruder efforts to give the fabrication of textiles a local habitation.'
'The Kirriemuir Linen Works, contiguous to the Railway Station, were opened in 1869, by the brothers John and David Wilkie. These pioneers in steam operationshad started in earlier life as employers of handloom labour, and had transferred their business from the Southmuir to the old West U.P. Church off Glengate. That busy mart gave place to the first of Kirriemuir factories, which is still carried on by the sons of the late David Wilkie.'